Common Health Problems affecting Dogs and Cats

Veterinary advice from John Burns BVMS MRCVS

WWW HolisticPetHealth

|Home | Introduction |Principles of Natural Health Care |Development of disease |Pet Health Management
Common Pet Health Problems
| FAQ | Factsheets | Contact



If the cat is suffering from diarrhoea/vomiting on its current food then a change to a more digestible food, low in fat, low protein and free from wheat, Soya or dairy products may help.

If the problem is just occasional then the new food should be gradually weaned in to the old diet over a period of at least a week. Remember the longer you can take to wean the food in, the easier it is for the digestive system to adapt to it. If loose motions occur when you are introducing the food then this means you could be introducing it too quickly or you are feedingtoo much.

If the diarrhoea is constant there is no point in trying to mix the new food in with the old food until the diarrhoea is stopped.

The cat should be starved for a day then fed a home cooked diet for a few days until the diarrhoea subsides.

The home cooking should involve either some very well-cooked rice/porridge and scrambled/boiled egg or if the cat will not eat egg, try cooked chicken or fish.

The porridge and scrambled egg should be made with just water not milk.

The rice and porridge should be cooked for as long as possible as this will make it easier to digest.

Once the diarrhoea has subsided then the new food can be introduced. A dry complete food can be fed dry or moistened with warm-hot water (the water should have cooled properly before feeding, so you do not burn your cat). On the first day 2-3 kibbles should be added to the diet, if the cat shows no side effects this can be repeated the next day. If the cat is still okay, the amount can be increased gradually by a few kibbles each time. The home cooked food should be gradually reduced as the new food is increased. Any signs of vomiting or loose motions when Burns is being introduced could mean that you are introducing the food too quickly.

If the digestive problems reoccur the advice of a veterinary surgeon should be sought.


Common pet health problems
John Burns Pet Health Management Programme







John Burns can be contacted at 99 Ferry Road, Kidwelly, Carmarthenshire, Wales, SA17 5EJ - Freephone (UK) 0800 018 18 90 | Nutritional advice Freephone (UK) 0800 083 66 96
Tel 01554 890482 | Fax 01554 891476 | email nutritional advice

©2006 John Burns. No part of this website can be reproduced in any form without the express permission of John Burns BVMS Lic Ac.MRCVS - Legal notice